View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default exposed to toxins

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
my PN started exactly like yours, numbness in the left big toe. I was 44. It has now spread up to my knees bilaterally and also in my hands bilaterally. In the first few years even though my feet were numb, if i stepped on anything or banged them the pain was all out of proportion to the injury. Fore the last few years though my feet are dead numb though i still get shocking and squeezing pains and when i walk on them i feel like im walking on broken bones. From emg/ncs my PN is sensory motor axonal with demyelination. My cause is toxins. Were you exposed to any toxins?
Thanks for your response. You know, I really don't know if I have been exposed to toxins. In college I did work at a DuPont chemical plant and a ship building company. Common laborer and pipe fitter's helper so no telling what I got exposed to. I was also accidentally shot in the hip with a 410 shotgun when I was 18. The birdshot ,which is lead, is still in me, but the heavy metal tests have all been negative. I am able to walk without pain because of an excellent orthotic If I walk on them without shoes, it feels very uncomfortable, but like you, my feet are essentially dead. Another strange sensation that I get often is an olfactory hallucination. In other words, I smell something burning, but nothing is. Mine has been diagnosed as axonal sensory PN of unknown origin, (idiopathic)

How was yours diagnosed and what toxins were you exposed to? Again thanks for your response. Jim
flyfishobie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote