View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Welcome to NT!

I got my concussion in a car accident, too. Two years later I'm still struggling.

Your daughter is young and things may well turn out better for her. However, it's ridiculous for a doctor to predict how long her symptoms will persist. Doctors understand precious little about brain injury and standard CAT scans and MRIs are not useful diagnostic tools. They are simply not sensative enough to detect all the damaged and severed axons that can undermine brain function. In fact, people who are obviously cognitively compromised will usually test "clear."

If you want to know what your daughter's brain is really up to, she needs to have a neuro-psychological exam. A neuro-psych would also be useful in getting her access to more educational supports and is critical if you are in litigation over the accident. (If you don't have a lawyer, get one ASAP!!!!!!)

There is no such thing as a "minor" brain injury. Seemingly mild concussions can have profound and lasting consequences. No matter how well she recovers, she will probably have to modify her lifestyle to avoid further impacts.

It's important that you educate yourself about your daughter's condition. Coming to NT is a great start - some of the folks her are TBI experts. Another place to visit is the Brain Injury of America webpage: www.biausa.org They have local chapters all over the States. If you're writing from abroad, Canada, England, etc... all have similar organizations.

Give my best to your daughter.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote