View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
This is for the boffins since I know what they are now (LOL)

Alice,
I would love to hear your medical opinion on what I've discovered...
After spending the last couple of hours researching all my meds and my symptoms I may have come up with something. From what I've read the Dapsone causes an increased platelet count and weakness. I am going to call my hematologist in the morning but think that is what is causing this horrible fatigue and shakiness. I have Thrombocytosis which is a high platelet count. I am on Agrylin which keeps it well controlled and my platelets run around 450,000-500,000 now. I am honestly terrified and am not taking the Dapsone in the morning until I talk to my Hemo. I am so scared that my platelets have skyrocketed and I don't want to risk having a stroke. Do you think this could be a possibility?
Kendra

I think that calling your hematologist and making sure that there are no unwanted interactions between all the medications that you are getting is the right thing to do. it is also fairly easy to do a blood count, and see if there is any increase in your platelets, instead of being worried about it.
are you on aspirin? because even with relatively high platelet counts in someone who is young and has no other risk factors it is a very good prevention for stroke.
I also think it is OK to skip a dose of Dapsone if you are concerned about it. I believe it was given as a preventive abx. and not treatment?
I know it's really tough to have to deal with so many things at once. it may be good if you could also get all your physicians to communicate with each other, and that way you would feel safer with the treatment you are given. because obviously you don't want one thing to get better and the other to get worse.

alice
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote