View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 02:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Yeah, and Alice isn't even "scary smart!" She's super smart.

Good point about the cortisol levels, Alice. Did you guys know that cortisol is the reason why you have jet lag? It's because you are messing with those levels by traveling to different time zones where your body has to adjust to sleeping during times it's not used to. If you've ever been on a trip west or east for 8 hours or more, you know how bad it can get. I imagine that would mess with your MG too.

I guess this is why I'm "scary" smart (see attachment). Thanks, Jana, I think. BOO.

That and all the lovely medical experiences my family and I have had.

On a more serious note, echoing a little of what Alice said, I don't think a person EVER comes to grip with what MG does to their life. You can make nice with it, adjust what you can do, etc. But my MIND still wants to do what it wants to do. Some days my body will let it but others, like after being stupid and carving 3 pumpkins, it tells me to do absolutely nothing.

You should all go easy on yourselves because MG sure as heck doesn't.

Annie
Thanks Annie,

but, I would be super stupid, given the fact that I been studying medicine for my entire life, if I didn't know some.

I have to regretfully admit, that even though I have been perscribing steroids for years, I never realized what it really does, and how much one hour difference can make a difference.

I have always listened to my patients and thought that they know what they are experiencing best. but, this made me realize how hard it is to really know.

since I became ill, I stopped saying the stupid sentence-Oh, I can imagine how you feel. that we, the physicians say so many times, thinking that we really can just do an intelectual trick and put ourselves in our patients shoes.

no way, we can't. we cán't even know how we ourselves would feel under such circumstances, so how the heck can we know how someone else would?
we just have to listen and hope we can get a glimpse.
I have never carved pumpkins, so even if I try to think what it would be like not to be able to do so, I can't really.

I know that I have gradually found the way to do what I want to do, but some of it, was by changing what I want to do. just like the king in the "little prince". or doing the core of it, but not doing it.

no, I don't like this illness, and there are times when it really makes life harder, but I don't hate it that much any more either. I just see it as something that's there.

I don't know if what I say makes sense, or helpful in any way.

and people really only get a glimpse at each other's life.

this is what my son gave me, a year ago, when I was talking to him about how hard it is to understand (or explain) what one is experiencing.

The stars are the apexes of what wonderful triangles! What distant and different beings in the various mansions of the universe are contemplating the same one at the same moment! Nature and human life are as various as our several constitutions. Who shall say what prospect life offers to another? Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant? We should live in all the ages of the world in an hour; ay, in all the worlds of the ages. History, Poetry, Mythology! – I know of no reading of another's experience so startling and informing as this would be.

Walden, Thoreau
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (11-05-2009)