View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile 4-week update, encouraged

It's been 4 weeks today since I had my surgery, so I thought I'd post an update for those who might be following me.

Yesterday was the first day I began to feel like normal life was returning. It was an important turning point for me. I had been feeling very discouraged, not understanding the headaches and the kind of tiredness I was experiencing. I was experiencing an ongoing sinus problem and sore throat (which was all the more a problem because I do a lot of performing at this time of year and need to start practicing, and I wasn't able to sing).

Monday I felt awful, with a really bad headache. I figured I'd overdone it by going out twice on Sunday. But I started treating the sinuses by inhaling steam, using an saline inhaler, and running a humidifier at night in the bedroom. Tuesday morning I felt much better. And checking something online I discovered that the Topamax (which I wasn't going to start decreasing for another 4-6 weeks) can cause sinus problems!! That was a revelation! I also realized it could be causing other things that were bothering me (feeling weak, low energy, nausea, mood changes, anxiety). I emailed my neurologist and got permission to reduce the Topamax this week, instead of the Tegretol. I haven't even done it yet, but I am already feeling much better because of the sinus treatment and because now I realize that a lot of what has been bothering me is caused by the Topamax, not by the surgery. I feel like I'm starting to get my life back again. Things are looking up.

It is still scary, decreasing these meds. I have soreness in my face at times, and I'm sensitive to moving air sometimes. But those twinges really are not like TN zaps. They aren't lightning bolts, they aren't more than 1-2 on the pain scale. I think they are just a result of the surgery or maybe all three surgeries I have had (2 outpatient ones before the MVD). So I still hope for a complete cure. Time will tell.