View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused How to bring up the question with a psychiaatrist?

Hello,

I am hoping that someone on here may be able to help me. I recently moved from Kentucky to California and in doing so I bought a condo to later find out that they do NOT allow dogs over the weight of 20lbs and in their statement they wouldn't even allow dogs at all if it weren't for the California law. My problem though is that I own a 40lbs cattle dog that is my LIFE. I have had to sneak him in and confine him strictly to the indoors and a VERY quick potty on my patio to come back in quickly. The HOA has not found about him yet but I fear that they will and I will lose my one loyal trusting companion. In some research I have discovered the ESA dog which he I believe would qualify under. Before I had him I suffered greatly from depression, anxiety, and extreme low self-esteem, and still do but to a lesser degree with him around due to a long bad history. When in Kentucky I was taking counseling and soon am going to be finding a local psychiatrist to continue my help.

Recently I went away for a weekend and sadly could not take my dog with me so had to leave him at home because afraid if I took him out he would be found out so had someone come over and care for him. But during that weekend I was lost without him. I had trouble sleeping at night, I felt real down, and all I wanted to do was get back home to him even though I was in the presence of family.

I was wondering though how do I approach the new psychiatrist about starting the process of an ESA? And what forms are required and where can I get these forms?

He is VERY well trained. NON destructive, quiet, and very friendly. He is my shadow (literally) wherever I go in my home he is right there to let me know he won't leave me.
ahcigar1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote