View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 AM
mhr4

mhr4

I asked around regarding this case study and it was confirmed that James used traditional neurofeedback for his therapy. This is definitely a remarkable case and is a testament to the power of neurofeedback.

With neurofeedback, it isn't a case of the client 'changing their thought patterns' to initiate a change. If this were the case, then neurofeedback wouldn't be necessary and the client could just do cognitive behavioral therapy. Rather, a phsyiological/biochemical change takes place to maximize how the brain is functioning. For example, if you have ever been around a kid who suffers from ADHD, no amount of trying to change their thought patterns is going to get them to sit down and concentrate. Rather, either neurofeedback or ritalin is required for this.

Also, I contacted the company that makes the LENS neurofeedback system and they informed me that it is a biofeedback device, and not neuro-therapy. I'm making this distinction because it is important for anyone reading this to understand that any stimulus that is introduced into the clients brain via radio wave frequencies, comes from feedback from the clients own brain. So, the therapist isn't arbitrarily guessing what frequency to stimulate, it is empirically decided from the clients own eeg signal.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote