View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There is always hope. My neuropathy has improved, I doubt it will ever be gone, and I will always have to take B12, yet it is better.

My feet have never been totally numb like yours. At one time, they were very painful. At that time, I didn't realize I had neuropathy, and with no insurance, I didn't seek a doctor's help.

My neutropathy started in my hands, or appeared to start there with carpal tunnel. For years previous to that, I had hip pain, upper arm pain...like arthritis, I thought. My issues began because of a gluten intolerance, which was undiagnosed for years. My issues all started when I was pregnant with my 2nd child, who will be 33 next month, and my gluten problem was finally figured out 9 yrs ago...which is far longer than the normal 11 yrs diagnosis time. The gluten was doing damage to my nerves for a very long time.

Five yrs ago, I started on B12, fist 1000mcg, then 3000mcg, and for over 1 1/2 yrs, I have been taking 5000mcg. Very rare for my feet to have pain...knock on wood, the buzzing has stopped, I haven't had any electric shocks for some time now, and I can sew again. I do still have balance issues, and when I take long walks, I sometimes have drop foot...yet as a rule, things are much better for me now.

Along with the B12, I have been exercising daily since January. I do get flare ups in my shoulders from some exercises, but I do not give in. In the long run, I think the exercise will be as valuable to me as the B12.

Oh, and yes, I have sensory neuropathy with some axonal involvement, along with gluten ataxia.

There is always hope.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chicosalt (12-28-2016), flyfishobie (11-05-2009), janieg (12-30-2016), mrsD (11-06-2009)