View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey, Patrick! Thanks for telling us your name.

First, way to go on losing weight and eating better. It's such a hard change. I did it back in 1997 and felt better too. I mean, changing my diet. The weight issue continues to be difficult due to inability to exercise much.

Before I comment on any of your drugs, know that I am NOT a medical professional. AND you should not make any changes to meds without speaking to the doctor who prescribed them!!! Very important, especially with Mestinon. Mestinon can make you better but too much can make your MG worse; making you weaker.

I'm a little concerned about some of your meds! Do you have one pharmacy for all of them? I'm surprised they haven't "red flagged" some of them.

Sleeping pills can be taken with MG but you have to be careful. They probably should've done a sleep study beforehand to make sure you don't have sleep apnea. If you do, sleeping pills could make you stop breathing! They can make breathing muscles even weaker.

Those "statin" drugs (cholesterol) can make MG worse, so be careful with that. I don't know the numbers you are using for your cholesterol - they are different here in the states. Do you know the normal range for cholesterol there?

Most asthma drugs are taken twice a day, like Advair or Flovent. And Mestinon can actually make asthma worse. It may be what started my asthma.

Do you take vitamin D too? If not, you should! D and calcium work together and many people are deficient in D.

Have you ever been tested for celiac disease? It's so rampant in Ireland and England - and in other Northern Europeans.

Has your neuro discussed going down on the amount of Pred you take at some point? Watch out for any signs of Pred-induced diabetes!

If you have an internist/primary doctor, you may want to list all these meds and go over them. One of the biggest causes of injury and death are drug interactions.

I would make one other comment about your diet. It's best to have carbohydrates with a protein, especially on Prednisone. Cheese is not a very good protein, not really. Nuts and seeds are better. I personally like almonds and pumpkins seeds. And since you are on an acid blocker, you may not digest nuts well enough. Nut butters may be easier to digest. Again, that's so great that you are making those changes. I felt better too.

It takes awhile to learn about MG. Here are a couple websites, though there are many others.

www.myasthenia.org
www.mdausa.org

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 11-05-2009 at 08:11 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote