View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Post Pumpkins and Pesticides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
Annie, your pumpkin carvings are AWESOME -- BUT, this is all I could think about.......we grew pumpkins in our garden(s) this year. Of course we are organic (no pesticides) and after the pumpkins got really big, we picked them and put them into the barn to "cure". Didn't help -- the squash beetles STILL found them -- and ate holes -- and they rotted. Talked to some pumpkin farmers -- pumpkins just HAVE to be treated with pesticides or else they have the same problem we did. So, I'm thinking........you carved THREE of these TOXIC fruits!!!!!!!!!!! I'm cringing. And, you did say you weren't feeling well, right?? I now use borax (the washing powder) mixed with sugar (equal parts) -- and pour that around the foundation of my house to keep away ants. May try THAT next year around some pumpkins.
Thanks for the reminder about pesticides - I hate pesticides. I have grown pumpkins and other squash many many times and rarely get squash beetles or any other insect and I never use chemicals. The farmers are WRONG. Maybe if pumpkins are grown in the wrong climate then pesticides are "needed". Try another variety of pumpkin that is better adapted to the area you live. I think Native Seeds Search sells pumpkin seeds online and there are other sources for heirloom type pumpkins and not the hybrid seeds. Farmers have grown pumpkins for more years that I can even guess at and they didn't have pesticides until recently in history.

Pesticides are so bad for all people and noticably for us with MG. We are like the canaries in the coal mine for pesticides.

I love growing food, I think next year I will try some pumpkins.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote