Thread: Mestinon
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Lizzie - I would love to hear the all the details for what everyone experiences with mestinon.

I take 1 1/2 to 2 of the 60 mg pills every day.

Without Mestinon I would be stuck in bed almost all the time not able to read or even roll over. Mestinon is my life saver!

I have noticed that when I take my morning 60 mg pill, I have to relax for about 1 hour since sometimes it makes me dizzy or shaky like I drank too much coffee (did someone else say that Mestinon makes them feel like this?) After talking to my doctor, he said to spread the dosage out more during the day, the only thing he stressed was to take the SAME amount every day.

Today I am cutting all my pills in half and taking 30 mg every 4 hours during the day (I don't need Mestinon at night). This morning went great, no dizziness or shaking and otherwise I feel like I took the whole pill. Taking my next 1/2 pill now since I am starting to feel week (exactly 4 hours since first pill).

I have always been sensitive to medicines and need less than the average person so I think this smaller dose will feel better for me.

Also, if I take 2 pills every day then on or before day 5 I get twitchy muscles and I have to stop. 2 pills daily is too much for me so I only take 2 pills on my weak days and no more than twice per week.

Water is important for me to drink with Mestinon. If I don't drink plenty water I get stomache cramps and painful diarea and also stiff hands due to dehydration. Yesterday I didn't drink enough water and I have been regretting it terribly (staying near bathroom today and yesterday afternoon). Mestinon usually doesn't give me diarea (Note to self - drink extra water today and every day!)

I am still working out the best times to take Mestinon.

I found out that pills taken in the evening will keep me awake for about 4 hours afterward. When I first started taking Mestinon I took one in the morning and one in the evening 12 hours apart (6 am and 6 pm) and I couldn't sleep until 10 or 11 pm. After about 1 week I got the overdose symptoms of twitching, tight muscles and muscle cramps (scary!) and had to decrease my dose. It was such a relief to be able to relax and sleep after that experience. I almost did not want to take Mestinon anymore.

I feel like I am just rambling. I suppose I am just sharing any experience I can think of concerning Mestinon. I hope it is helpful to someone.

I hope everyone is feeling good today.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote