View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HormoneExpert View Post
I've heard this too - I've also heard that refined sugars and carbohydrates can cause anxiety too.
Again... not vegetable but grain...

Breaking the Vicious Cycle, by Elaine Gottschall is a book based on replacing grains with nuts and has had tremendous success in people with celiac disease, crohn's, unidentified gluten sensitivity, autism, etc.

I did the diet myself several years ago and though it was difficult, expensive and time consuming, I never felt better.

Now, I do consume grain - mostly white rice but some others mixed in (sorghum, amaranth, etc.) - but every time I try and bring whole grains back in, I start getting achy etc.

I can't speak to anxiety though. Gluten does that to me and it only takes surprising minute amounts to send me on a downward swing with my mood.

My children, if they seem to consume too much sugar, will tell me they need to cut back. Of course in our house, everyone is VERY aware of the connection between food and mood because of our severe gluten reactions... so this might be unusual.

The definition of a complex and simple carb change depending upon the professional you speak to. People like E. Gottschall considered jam to be complex because of the refined sugar in it. Personal Trainers are trained to view jam as a simple carb.

It makes life confusing for the basic consumer who is trying to figure out what they need to do for themselves.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote