View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, and welcome!

The most important step in getting diagnosed is finding an MG expert (neurologist). Maybe if you say what area you live in, someone here can recommend one to you.

A neuro-ophthalmologist can also identify ocular MG. They have specialized tests to figure it out - and to say if you have double vision. Some of them still do the Tensilon test, where they inject 2 mg. of Tensilon at a time (up to 10 mg.) to see if your ocular MG (ptosis, pronounced toe-sis) gets better.

It's best to figure out for sure if you have MG. Mestinon is not a placebo and can make people without MG weaker. It can be dangerous.

Did they do a Single Fiber EMG? It's a more sensitive type of EMG. What other tests did they do? They need to test clinically weak muscles. Did they do both the Acetylcholine Antibody Panel (binding, blocking and modulating antibodies) and the MuSK antibody test?

Did they use Novacaine at the dental appt.? It is relatively contraindicated in MG. It can make muscles weaker, especially the swallowing muscles. My face droops really bad after having a dental appt.

The eye drops they use to test your eyes contain Atropine, which is like the opposite of Mestinon. It can make you weaker. There are lots of drugs which are relatively contraindicated in MG. The muscle relaxants especially.

I know, it can take a long time to be diagnosed. But it's important to get the diagnosis right, since the drugs have side effects and can make someone without MG worse. Plus, they can also make the tests appear normal when they aren't.

I hope you can get some help soon.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote