View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Options

Hi Flor and welcome to NT!

I'm sorry about your Mom's stroke. She's lucky to have such a concerned person looking out for her.

I'm afraid I can't offer any insights into the treatment you're considering. I can, however, suggest a tried and true treatment you can get close to home.

My brain damage came in a car accident. However it left me with many of the same issue's as your mother: speech aphasia, confusion and memory problems. I have been doing Attention Processing Training (APT). Clinical study has found it useful for folks with mild to severe brain injury.

It will not bring the patient back to their premorbid state. However, what seems like modest progress can do a lot to improvement the patient's function and quality of life. The therapist recorded my speech on the first day and I can hear a big difference now. I've even regained the confidence to use the phone sometimes! People around me say I'm more "with it" and I feel that way.

Am I exactly like I was before the accident? No - but I am better. APT also has the advantage of being non-invasive and relatively inexpensive. You should be able to get it for less than $100 a session and most insurance companies will provide some coverage.

It's just another option to consider. I know how hard this is for you. Thanks for looking out for your Mom.

Cheers

Last edited by Hockey; 11-09-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote