View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy Misery

Knees are worse than hips, and that was bad enough.

You might want to consider asking for a copy of the consent form ahead of time so you can really read it without someone hovering over you, waiting to start your anesthetic. You might even want to think about taking it to your attorney for approval, but don't tell the hospital you did--just my view.

For PD meds while you're in the hospital, I have heard and experienced some very negative situations. As a result, I would (1) ask my neurologist to enter orders regarding your meds in your chart ahead of time, and to specify that you will self-administer PD meds. If neuro won't, ask your primary provider and/or the surgeon. (2) when you meet with the anesthesiologist, remind them that you have PD and take the meds. They wouldn't let me self-administer right after surgery, so we had my husband designated as the med dispenser. Since the orders were in the chart, the nurses had to bring them to me anyway, usually at the wrong time, in the wrong quantity, or with some missing. But most of the nurses gave me the pills to take home, to save me a little money on drugs.

Still, the authority to give meds at the hospital I went to was in the Floor Nurse, who, on the first morning, ruled that my meds had to be in their original prescription bottles (as if they would magically stay in the bottles and their presence there proved that they were what the label said). The bottles were huge because I get meds from a mail-order pharmacy, so I had printed out all my prescriptions from the pharmacy's web site. Not good enough for Ms. Floor Nurse. Fortunately, I had established a cordial relationship with the Chief Pharmacist on his rounds the evening before, so I called him, and he looked at my printout and said, "This looks like labels on original prescription bottles to me." He also made sure that the recovery room nurse gave me a Sinemet as soon as I was allowed to drink water.

I have heard that in an extreme case, where the PWP had no support from their own doctors, that they took in a statement of the PD drugs they were taking, signed and witnessed by their attorney, and presented it to the Floor Nurse with the comment, "For my protection AND YOURS, please attach this to my medical orders NOW." Cooperation is said to have been immediate.

Best of luck whatever you decide, accu200, welcome to the forum, and be brave for the physical therapy--most people are extremely glad they did it later on.

pkell, you have been through a lot! Sorry I haven't kept in better touch.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeanb (11-02-2010), pkell (11-10-2009)