View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
OH BRIAN!! This makes SOOOOOO much sense!!! I think that I have mentioned that Sonja played competitive tennis (I think I have this right -- language barrier and all). This might have made a difference?!?!

I mean athletes DO have lower resting heart rates, right?? So, it would make sense that other physical aspects could be different.
I don't think anyone knows the answer to that.

but, almost every human trait tends to have a bell shaped curve of normal distribution, and there is almost always some overlap between the low normal to the abnormal.

for instance some people have a Hgb of 13, some of 15, and some even 11.5, and they are all normal, but the 11.5 would be more then 2 standard deviations from the average, so it would be considered abnormal, and unless you have known that person's Hgb from birth you would think they have anemia. (which technically they do, but it has no clinical significance). on the other hand a Hgb of 13. can be a sign of GI bleeding, if that person always has 15.

a person is a very complex biological system, and that is why you can't just look at one test, and base all you decissions on that.

alice
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote