View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I have a very close family member who lives in Berlin. She grew up there. She has told me many stories of "The Wall" and the soldiers.

She said the day the wall came down it wasn't supposed to happen the way it did... News got out that they, East Germany, was going to open the wall for people to travel from East to West more freely... It was never intended at that moment for the wall to completely come down. The news spread quickly and people began showing up by the hundreds to the check points. As things went on and more people kept showing up the East German Government had now choice but to allow everyone to pass... The rush was great and people began knocking down "The Wall".

What a great night for all!! Though this did bring great economic impact to West Germany, the two soon became one. Family told me stories of semi truck trailers full of banana's, fresh fruits, and vegetables....being handed out to those crossing the border.

A call went out to musicians and entertainers who were already in Germany and those that could get there quickly... They held a HUGE concert in the Olympic Stadium.

I've been to Berlin a few times and absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it there!!! I haven't been there for about six years so I imagine much has changed....

I love standing at checkpoint Charlie... Look one direction and it looks like Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, or Fifth Avenue in New York.... Turn and look the other direction and you can still see the gray and run down buildings of the old East Germany.

I hope to return for a visit sometime.

Rest in Peace
3/8/90 ~~ 4/2/12
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (11-11-2009), Isis (11-11-2009), Mari (11-10-2009), waves (11-10-2009)