View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb A very interesting International Patent Application of Osemwota Sota Omoigui, MD

Although filed in 2005, it appears to still be pending: http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...7&DISPLAY=DESC

I wish him all the luck in the world, subject to my underlying misgivings about whether medical procedures should be subject to patent in the first place. But that's not my call. Check out the abstract:
Abstract

This invention relates to a method for prevention and treatment of aging, age-related disorders and/or age-related manifestations including atherosclerosis, peripheral vascular disease, coronary artery disease, osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, dementia and some forms of arthritis and cancer in a subject comprising administering to said subject, separately, sequentially or simultaneously a therapeutically effective dosage of each component or combination of statins, bisphosphonates, cholesterol lowering agents or techniques, interleukin-6 inhibitor/antibody, interleukin-6 receptor inhibitor/antibody, interleukin-6 antisense oligonucleotide (ASON), gp130 protein inhibitor/antibody, tyrosine kinases inhibitors/antibodies, serine/threonine kinases inhibitors/antibodies, mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase inhibitors/antibodies, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) inhibitors/antibodies, Nuclear factor .kappa.B (NF-.kappa.B) inhibitors/antibodies, I.kappa.B kinase (IKK) inhibitors/antibodies, activator protein-1 (AP-1) inhibitors/antibodies, STAT transcription factors inhibitors/antibodies, altered IL-6, partial peptides of IL-6 or IL-6 receptor, or SOCS (suppressors of cytokine signaling) protein, or a functional fragment thereof, administered separately, in sequence or simultaneously. Inhibition of the signal transduction pathway for Interleukin 6 mediated inflammation is key to the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis, peripheral vascular disease, coronary artery disease, aging, age-related disorders and/or age-related manifestations including osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, dementia and some forms of arthritis and tumors. Inhibition of Interleukin 6 mediated inflammation may be achieved indirectly through regulation of endogenous cholesterol synthesis and isoprenoid depletion or by direct inhibition of the signal transduction pathway utilizing interleukin-6 inhibitor/antibody, interleukin-6 receptor inhibitor/antibody, interleukin-6 antisense oligonucleotide (ASON), gp130 protein inhibitor/antibody, tyrosine kinases inhibitors/antibodies, serine/threonine kinases inhibitors/antibodies, mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase inhibitors/antibodies, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) inhibitors/antibodies, Nuclear factor .kappa.B (NF-.kappa.B) inhibitors/antibodies, I.kappa.B kinase (IKK) inhibitors/antibodies, activator protein-1 (AP-1) inhibitors/antibodies, STAT transcription factors inhibitors/antibodies, altered IL-6, partial peptides of IL-6 or IL-6 receptor, or SOCS (suppressors of cytokine signaling) protein, or a functional fragment thereof. Said method for prevention and treatment of said disorders is based on inhibition of Interleukin-6 inflammation through regulation of cholesterol metabolism, isoprenoid depletion and/or inhibition of the signal transduction pathway.
Mike

PS And here's the information on what appears to be his still pending US patent application for the same concept: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...DN/20060275294

Last edited by fmichael; 11-10-2009 at 03:49 PM.
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote