View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Linda,

Cudos to you for your efforts to home school Danielle. It can be quite a task.

My wife home schooled our kids after we pulled them from a private school that was failing us.

There is a book, rather old, called "Teaching Tips and Techniques" that may be of help as you try to understand how to best meet Danielle's needs. It is still available on Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...niques&x=0&y=0

Our older daughter struggled with academics and TT&T helped my wife understand some of her struggles.

btw, When we pulled our kids out of private school, our older daughter was doing 2nd grade work but was in the 4th grade. Her year in 'special ed ' as a first grader did not get her up to speed. My wife had her at grade level within 6 months. At 16, she took the California High School Proficiency Exam, passed, and graduated a year early. This meant she was equal to the top 50% of graduating seniors, not at the minimum level like the GED requires.

In the Army, she became a Surgical Technician and later a Combat Medic. She graduated Surg Tech school at the top of her class and interned in Hawaii. She later completed her Combat Medic training and passed her national certification with only two weeks of training and study. She only took the Combat Medic "refresher" course, not the 21 week full course. She was often selected to be the General's medic in Iraq when he went outside the "Wire". She made Sargent and then Staff Sargent at the earliest date.

All this to say that with a proper understanding of how a student learns best, they can accomplish anything. Your ability to focus on her learning strengths can overcome her learning weaknesses.

My daughter learned that she needs a distraction free learning environment. If she is in a classroom, she sits up front where there are no other students' heads to move about and voices to distract her.

Again, I commend you.

My best to you and Danielle. Give her a hug for me.

btw, My wife never finished Junior College. Studies show that education level has no bearing on the success of a home schooling mom.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote