View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi

As to whether you can have a heart attack and have a normal EKG, I witnessed this with a patient in the next bed to me back in february during the admission where I met the lovely lady Dr who practiced "third world" medicine!

A gentleman in the next bed to me (yes it was a mixed ward and I was assualted by a male patient with dementia whilst sleeping - god bless the NHS!) came into hospital with chest pain that was radiating down his left arm. His EKG was normal and he was on the emergency medical unit for observation. The first consultation was at 8am - I was being nosey and listening! The Dr told him he hadn't had a heart attack and it was probably indegestion.

Then at 9am they came racing back to the bed. One of the medical students had drawn blood the night before. The results had come back in and showed an enzyme present in his blood that would only be there if he had had a heart attack. The patient was then told he did indeed have a heart attack the day before and would be seeing the cardiologist later that day. It was only due to the person ordering the blood test the night before that this man wasn't discharged.

Ok so back to topic. I am planning to try and ensure that Im in a weakened state for my SFEMG. Its going to be difficult as the appointment is 3 hours away by car. But I plan to try and repeatedly move my arms and legs before hand to see if it provokes a response!

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Love
Rach
rach73 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote