View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I do have a warranty, not sure what it covers tho. My dad bought the netbook from Costco and it came with a warranty that's good for a couple of years.

I just talked to my boyfriend and told him what happened. He's going to check it for me the next time he's here. He thinks that my external dvd drive might have gone bad and that it bombed my netbook's system.

He said that I could still use the computer since I did the CHKDSK and it seems to be working now, but told me not to use the external drive in any of my computers. I guess I can wait to make copies of my video camera disks.

I do have free antivirus on it that my boyfriend told me to use when I had problems with Norton several years ago. (AVG Free, which was one of the higher rated antiviruses that my dad read about in a magazine review last week) never had a problem with that antivirus, it seems to actually catch the nasties before anything happens to my systems. (I use it on at least 2 of my computers) I used to use Norton, but Norton is a piece of junk. It crashed my Gateway computer a few years ago when I put Norton 360 on it. That's when I started using the free antivirus softwares. (I also get McAfee for free from the cable company that we get our internet access from. Use that in other computers)

So, according to boyfriend, I can still use my little netbook, but just have to be careful with it...no playing dvd's in it til he can check and make sure whether or not the BIOS needs updating. I had a BIOS problem with the netbook earlier this year (battery wouldnt charge, and wouldnt hold a charge)

I was having a problem getting the program that allows you to watch dvd's to work also. It keeps saying that I have to register the program, which I've already done. It doesnt seem to remember that I've registered it already. Totally weird. Oh well, I have computers with bigger screens that I can watch movies on, I just wanted to see what a dvd movie would look like on that teeny little screen...just in case I ever have to go do another IV drip...I took one of my big laptops last time I did that...want to take the lighter computer if I ever do that again.

I'm not planning on getting another IV drip of steroids anytime soon, but was just playing around with my computers last night since I was cleaning out my desks to get ready for moving them out of the room so I can get my new built-in desk installed soon. At least I can always use Hulu.com if I have to go anywhere with my netbook.

I guess I'll be asking my dad for one of those little portable dvd drives that I've seen advertised for using on a little netbook.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote