View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 03:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dependence is what many of us have.... if we take those meds.
It is especially true with Tramadol, but the Lyrica can cause it too. I've been taking both for 9 years (actually 6 with Neurontin, 3 with Lyrica) and when I miss my bed-time dose, I wake in the a.m. with w/d sx. Sweats, chills, nausea, headache, etc. - I feel like I have the flu......Also the PN sx flare, and boy, do they! I take my meds and in an hour or so, I can function again.
But it helps me to live a 'normal' life.
I just came back from a 4 day holiday to the Boston area (a 7 hour drive...each way - to visit my son) and was wiped out when I got back.
But I was able to do it. I couldn't have, without the meds, I'd be bed-ridden. So I accept it for what it is and go about my daily life, working every day and trying to be a grand-dad to 9 grand-kids and a Dad to 4 grown kids....and all that goes with it. But I take more breaks, and take more days off, to try to make things easier on myself.
But I still usually go to work 6 days a week.

Take the meds, Jack - and stop trying to make it more than what it is - a tool to help live your life with as little pain and discomfort as possible. don't gripe about wanting to not have to take the pills and wanting to live in the past.

That's over.... Accept it !

(But falling asleep while driving says you've either got to adjust your meds, or not drive at certain times of the day- when you feel more tired.)

Make the new things count. Make new ways to enjoy your life. You're only 60, I'm 65, and we've both got a lot of living ahead of us. We can make it miserable, or we can make it tolerable... and even enjoyable. Its how you approach it that makes it what it is.
BonDon (11-11-2009), Leslie (11-18-2009), zorrro13 (05-29-2011)