View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

One should not get PN from 25 mg a day. However, there are some people who have elevated B6 with NO daily supplements at all.

I ran into that when I found a study on autistic children that showed that they had elevated B6 naturally with no supplements.

What may happen is that some people cannot convert B6 to pyridoxal form. This requires Vit B2 riboflavin, the pyridoxal kinase enzyme to be active. Some drugs and toxins inactivate this enzyme so B6 will build up in the serum since the body cannot use it.

The PNs from B6 almost all were found with extremely high doses like 500mg a day. This was a common intervention for female PMS...and that is when some PN toxicity neuropathies were reported. And even then it is a very small number of people. It is just not common. They don't use that high dose anymore, and the only people who take it that way are those with a rare condition called B6 dependency.
Most doctors recommend B6 intake of less than 100mg a day.

If I were you, I'd stop all B6 and wait 6mons and get retested to see what level you are at. If you are normal then, you will know it was from the supplement reading high in the serum. If you are still elevated that will tell you that you have something metabolically wrong and you are not utilizing B6 properly.
If you don't convert properly, you would actually be deficient in the tissues. This would suggest using P5P, the activated form.
What form is in your supplement? Can you check? If your levels do return to a more common number, but you still have PN, I'd say the B6 is not the culprit. If you took your dose just before the blood draw, it might be a fluke, a temp reading until the vitamin moved into the tissues. Timing might be a factor as well.

Tomorrow I will look for some studies for you. You can then print them out and share with your doctor.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote