Thread: Flu shots
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm wondering about the flu and autoimmune diseases such as the Pernicious Anemia i have ... can getting the flu be more severe or cause some damage for me more than a healthy person?

I was reading some info about this online and they mention my disease as well as MS among others as being cautious about getting flu shots as they can do some harm.

Would it be better to get the vaccination or not to? I'm not on any prescribed meds to supress my immune system so i should be good to go I guess.

I'm new to my illness with regards to preparing for the flu and stuff so any help would be appreciated. The official CDC website does not list my illness but it does list some Neuro disorders. The website lists this stuff ....

People at High Risk for Developing Flu-Related Complications
Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
Adults 65 years of age and older
Pregnant women
People who have:

Asthma
Neurological and neurodevelopmental conditions [including disorders of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerve, and muscle such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy (seizure disorders), stroke, intellectual disability (mental retardation), moderate to severe developmental delay, muscular dystrophy, or spinal cord injury].
Chronic lung disease (such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD] and cystic fibrosis)
Heart disease (such as congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease)
Blood disorders (such as sickle cell disease)
Endocrine disorders (such as diabetes mellitus)
Kidney disorders
Liver disorders
Metabolic disorders (such as inherited metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders)
Weakened immune system due to disease or medication (such as people with HIV or AIDS, or cancer, or those on chronic steroids)
People younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy

Thanks!
megatrends is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pat 110 (11-12-2009)