View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ghee best homemade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I was just stunned to see Ghee at WalMart the other day.
My oil that I use sparingly...called Carotina is no longer available around here. I don't use oils much for cooking, so I was using Smart Balance spread out of the tub. I left my last Carotina bottle upNorth this summer (that was a mistake!)

So now I've made 3 things with the Ghee, and it is great!
Just under $6.00 for a small jar, about 8oz, or so. A little goes a long way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee
Hi Mrs. D. I have extensive exposure to Gujarati Indian cooking and Ayuvedic qualities of ghee. The very best is made at home from organic butter-Salt free is very important! European butter would be ideal. Good quality organic butter is quite good and recommended. I have used regular brand, sweet cream unsalted when on a budget.

It takes me about 1/2 hour,(or less) to make two pounds of butter into ghee. I strain with regular medium fine wire mesh strainer into two pre-sterilized jars after the smell gets to the "popcorn stage" and everything is settled to the bottom. Cool a few minutes for safe handling.WARNING-Cooking just a few minutes too long- on med-low heat - can scorch the solids and ruin the whole batch.

This is enough to last a long time if stored properly. Airtight and in fridge. ( Clean up is quick -Use paper towels to wipe out residue and scrape rest of browned milk solids into garbage, not the sink, then wash pot) Easy!!

It is a nice ritual and provide much more satvic qualities since it is guaranteed to be more pure from organic and uncontaminated as a condensed food should be. Not to mention much, much cheaper.

Hope this simplifies the making of ghee to all who might be interested. Look up gee in Ayurvedic medicine if interested in further understanding of it's benefits and properties. Blessings TT
tinglytoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-12-2010)