View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 03:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Joshua - I recommend you start with Lyrica - this is made specifically for PN and many get excellent results. Weight gain is a side effect so one has to weigh this side effect against the pain loss. If your hurting bad enough then a weight gain might be worth the price.

Many PNers are still using Neurontin along with an additional med or meds which is known as a 'cocktail'. It works for many. The problem with PN is that what works for one may not work for another. It's a continuing battle.

If your pain is constant and truly bad (no exaggerations) then a opioid is probably the answer. A couple of good ones are Methadone and the Duragesic Patch. Docs are sometimes reluctant in prescribing opioids so if your doc won't then find one that will.

I've had PN for 21 years and for the first 15 years my life was absolutely miserable with pain levels at the 7 to 9+ levels on the Mankoski Pain scale - see: http://members.upnaway.com/~poliowa/Pain%20Scale.html My pain, which untreated is still moderate to severe, constant and chronic in my lower legs and feet. I started the Duragesic Patch system on 1-9-02 and after slowly titrating the dosage up to the 100 strength patch, I found excellent results that lowered my pain to a 2 - 4 on the scale. Presently I am using 125strength patches (1-100 strength and 1-25 strength) and I consider my pain well controlled at that 2 to 4 level. I have learned to almost ignore the reduced pain and I get along just fine. I'm able to do most anything a 78 year old can do including driving my car without incident. So, for me, the patches have worked wonders and I plan to continue their use until a cure is found or till I die. These patches don't work for everyone but they are certainly worth a try when everything else fails.

Good luck and I hope you find this info helpful.

DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote