View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

I've NEVER had a family member try to push us to eat anything... and we aren't even gold star celiacs. It has maybe taken them a while to "get" that there are many things we won't eat if we aren't sure they are safe "plain" food. My dad still doesn't get it, but thankfully he doesn't prepare meals for us. He likes to take us out to eat on occasion, and has had to learn we have very narrow criteria for doing that.

It did take my MIL a little longer to completly morph her meals... and still she might order pizza or make lasagna from some get together, but at least we know that in advance.... and either make and bring our own gf lasagna or pizza, or bring something else. I will try to "match" what the host is making if I can.

I do feel somewhat guilty when it seems every family holiday meal is geared toward us, but the truth is... the options are limitless for making a truly satisfying gf meal that everyone will enjoy. There is TONS of gluten free food in the world in meat, veggies and fruit, rice and potato, etc. It just takes a little thinking and planning... and perhaps we can't eat every last thing, but we can eat most. I do remind my SIL she can just order out pizza if she wants, and as long as we know... we can bring our own along. I don't like feeling that I'm putting others out... but they just keep being so darn accomodating for us. I'm sorry everyone doesn't have it so easy.

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote