View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsister View Post
What I find irritating too is that CD is the "gold standard" for gluten sensitivity. As in "So are you celiac, or just gluten sensitive?" I mean, doesn't it make more sense that celiac disease is just ONE possible end result of gluten sensitivity??
I think there's also the problem of not understanding degrees of reactions. I had an appt earlier this week and was asked if I was allergic to any medications, so I explained about my corn allergy (Medications would need to be compounded most likely due to my allergy to the binders used, which are generally derived from corn) and the nurse asked about my reactions. I explained that they vary from pain and bloating up to rashes and severe hot flashes, tightness in my chest.

"Well, its good that its nothing serious."

I felt like it was being dismissed!!! I've come so far with the corn free and gluten free, I have bad days and can remember when feeling like that was a good day (and wonder how I ever functioned...) But how else to describe the symptoms? In medical terms...its gas, bloating, motility issues. Inflammation, shortness of breath, etc. Meds make it worse because they contain what I'm allergic to. But I don't drop down dead and require heroic measures to be rescusitated...so its not a big deal.

I keep telling people there's more to it than just whether you live or die...quality of life counts!
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote