View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I find that if I define my current struggle more specifically, people tend to respond better.

I have to memorized lines like:

I have a visual processing disorder due to a brain injury.

and

I have an auditory processing disorder due to a brain injury.

Simply asking for help or courtesy due to a brain injury is of little use. People do not understand what your brain injury is if you don't look injured.

They do usually understand "Auditory processing disorder."

Hockey,

You could try saying something like: "I have a visual processing disorder due to a brain injury that makes it difficult for me to sort through the many labels" or something like that.

You could even say something like, " I have dyslexia and have a hard time reading labels." If it causes the other person to soften their attitude, it is worth the little lie. Our brains do often behave like someone with dyslexia.

We need to figure out what people will understand best. Dyslexia is probably better understood that processing disorder.

I find it helps to have these responses memorized as we tend to pop if we try to respond 'on the spot.'

The note works for authority figures. They will take time to read it. The memorized lines work for most of the rest. Those who don't respond with courtesy I consider to be damaged in a worse way than me. They choose to be inconsiderate. All I am asking for is some understanding.

I try to never let someone's inconsiderate attitude affect me personally. There are too many jerks in this world. If I let them control my personal feelings, I would be toast.

I used to find myself staring at labels of something like baby food with no need to be looking at baby food. I have come to believe it is the result of becoming visually over-stimulated as I look for something. When my brain overloads, I have a sort of 'absence seizure' and get stuck looking at the last thing that caused the over-stimulation.

This can happen while I am working on a repair project around the house. As I try to think through a solution, I over-tax my brain and get stuck staring. My wife used to think I was brain storming until I finally confessed that I was brain freezing.

I hope I never have this brain freeze when confronted by an authority figure.

Regarding the jerk with the cart bump attitude, you could always save for a last resort something like, "Do that again and I will have you charged with battery." That will work better coming from a woman that from a man.

Sometimes, the jerks need to hear something like, "I have PMS and I carry a gun." I've seen this on a bumper sticker. LOL

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (11-15-2009), tinglytoes (01-16-2010)