View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The issue of free will is a hot potato. When I first heard about people embezzling money, selling the house, going to the airport, flying to Vegas, blowing it all, I could not imagine how they can claim they had no idea how to stop themselves from doing it.
It is also very dangerous to win the argument in court, to the effect that Parkies cannot control themselves... because of the drugs.... but the "general population" only remember the first part - that Parkies are untrustworthy and dangerous and out of control.
If a man abuses a little girl for years, the excuse that he was under the influence of whatever is very, very hard to take. Primitive tribes had a more direct answer - they would simply kill him.

There are people who had very innocently taken Mirapex and then did not understand why they had flipped out. It's a habit most of society had - take these pills, they will cure your ills. We had to learn the hard way that the pills may cause almost anything; and furthermore, fighting PD is a big job - Alex Kerten in Israel says four hours a day, minimum, dancing or exercise and / or meditation, all sorts of things... he calls it very hard work.. We were brought up in a society that, with the help of pharma advertising budgets, believed in magic pills.
Altogether it is an unholy mess, but Parkies need not have hard feelings towards each other's experience, what we go through.
The perplexing thing is the time and energy and money - and these minutes you are taking to read this, and the lawsuits and the bizarre science studies ... all should be aimed intensely at curing the disease. Instead there are all these distractions going on. What percentage of Parkies become destructive? I don't know, but if we cured the disease, it would be zero.
Now I am the one distracting everyone with rants and raves. I have to shut up a bit. The readers of my never-ending website letter are complaining that I am always here and never there, so I have started Chapter 23 to update them, but as of now I have not yet even reached the part about the Mayo Clinic and Anuket, which we went through on this site some days ago. Some complain that I have cut them out of the discussion. They forget that here, I can have discussion. On my own site, I am dictator. I learn more here.
Chapter 23 is only partly available. It is called "When Parkies Go Wild", which I thought was sufficiently insulting to maintain my street cred.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote