View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Anxiety help for my son(11): meds?

Hello, I was wondering how many of you have done meds for your children for their anxiety? My son has always had anxiety/nervousness issues. We've tried the natural med route, counseling, breathing exercises, etc. Most of the time he just collapses into a ball of crying mush on the couch b/c his anxiety creates such fear in his mind and he just gets so overwhelmed that he can't control it.

I hate to see him like this but I'm so uncertain about using meds. His little brain just isn't fully developed and I keep thinking that I should put it off. We see all forms of anxiety here so he's been diagnosed with GAD. OCD type stuff like intrusive thoughts, separation anxiety, fear of restaurants, stranger anxiety, performance anxiety for sports, the list goes on..... Anyway, I'm looking to find out more about meds and how doctors use them for children. And, if I put him on meds will he be on meds the rest of his life?

Also, he has a tic disorder(non-Tourettes) mostly facial tics and he has some Learning Disabilities too. We homeschool and he's very involved in competitive tennis and also enjoys golfing, biking, etc.

Thanks! B