View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 AM
mhr4

mhr4

Sorry to hear of your recent injuries. Once you get your CSF leak figure out, I suggest you get busy rehabbing your brain. I was in a very similar situation to you while I was in college - I was a biochemistry major who was getting weekly minor concussions from Rugby. The unfortunate part for me is that I didn't do any rehab until 6 years after my last injury, and I had to suffer the symptoms of PCS that entire time. Fortunately for you, you don't have to endure the same process that I did. You can rehab your brain and get your life back on track. Your also lucky that you have such a high functioning brain because the research has suggested that he higher functioning the person was before the injuries, the better outcome he will have after rehab. I have done all of these therapies and I found all of them to work, not to mention a lot of research has been done on these that has shown them to be very effective in rehabbing PCS.

The first thing to do is to get lab tests done to check for any deficiences you may have in vitamins/minerals and to also check for any hormone imbalances. The second thing to do is to find a neurofeedback therapist to begin neurofeedback. Since you are an engineering student, I'll leave it up to you to research what this is and what it can do for you. The third thing to do is to look into other therapies that have been shown to help. These include: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Transcranial magnetic stimulation, nutrition therapy and homeopathic therapy.

I wouldn't suggest getting a neuropsychological test done because it has been shown inefective in diagnosing PCS for people with high IQ's. This was my problem when I first began rehab because I would blow those tests out of the water. However, you neuro will probably prescribe one but just be aware that your results will probably be above normal unless your damage has been pretty severe.

The good news for you, and anyone else who is under the age of 25, is that your brain is still growing at a pretty active rate. In fact, your pre-fronatl cortex, which is responsible for executive functioning, is the main area usually affected by concussions and is also the main area that continues to grow to age 25. So, you should take advantage of this while you can and get your brain "back into shape."

Sorry for the unsolicited advice and I hope it has been helpful to you. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to pm me or ask on here.

GOOD LUCK!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote