View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemar View Post

I just hope others will be warned by our esperience and for starters, never allow ketamine anaesthesia and be very careful of rabies vaccine.
I have spent a lot of time researching online these last few days and have learned soooooo much about these "routine" procedures that we have done to our pets knowing what i do now, i know I will not even be having booster shots for any of them anymore!!
Cheri,

I really am so sorry you are going through all this. You know, we have our new pup, and the breeder warned us that Wheaten Terriers have anesthesia sensitivity. She told us what NOT to use, but I can't find the info she gave me at the moment. I did google this up, in regard to Wheatens:

Quote:
Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers are very sensitive to certain anesthetics, particularly those with a barbiturate base. In this regard they are very much like sight hounds. Any procedure requiring an anesthetic should be discussed with the vet to make sure he/she understands this sensitivity. The recommended protocol is the following:
Preoperative tranquilizing with Acepromazine or Atropine. (Some Veterinarians may not choose to use Acepromazine)
Induction with a combination of Ketamine and Diazepam (Valium) administrated intravenously.
Maintenance of anesthesia with Isofluorane and Oxygen.

But I will call the breeder back to be sure of what she recommended as I can't find it in any of the literature she gave us. She must have just told us. She seemed very well researched and works with a vet in Pennsylvania who studies the breed and its hereditary problems.

She also suggested that he not be neutered until 9 months of age. My sister has a good friend who is a vet, who also said 9 months...despite the fact that the Humane Society recommends 6 months. My own vet routinely does it at 6 months, but we plan to delay, especially now.

Our breeder also recommend against booster vaccines after the first year, and recommended the one year rabies shots rather than the 3 year. She also suggested Interceptor rather than Heartguard because Heartguard may cause aggressiveness in some dogs. Vets just love these recommendations coming from breeders .

SO... now I have to approach our vet (who we know very well because he was our neighbor for several years) with all this. He already said "sometimes breeder's get silly ideas"...arghhh.. in regard to the heartworm medication, but I think he will be open if I approach him with it seriously.

Your sad experience has given me the resolve to follow through on all this the way I should...rather than just go with the flow. The uphill battle never seems to end with questioning the norm for procedures, vaccinations, etc. First out children, then our pets .

I am so happy to hear that Shadow is doing better, and hope the trend continues, and that he may even regain his vision. I'm keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 01-14-2007 at 12:09 AM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote