View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 PM
mhr4

mhr4

So as not to discourage readers from trying the LENS therapy to rehabilitate their brains, I would like to address this posting. I'm not a professional, so take this with a grain of salt and please consult a professional before attempting any neurofeedback protocl.

The reaction that Lopi had to the LENS is actually a very common reaction to have after the first treatment for people with brain injuries. A couple of things factor into this reaction. First, the first couple of sessions are meant to be exploratory sessions to ascertain the correct frequency and site to train. This is not different than when a doctor puts you on a new medication and it takes a while to find the correct dosage for your body. Second, injured brains can be very disorganized and this can result in the brain having to go through a reorganization process that can be quite uncomfortable for the client. This happened to me when I first began doing traditional neurofeedback. My brain had become so stuck in the disregulated patterns that at first it didn't want to budge at all and this would send me into a dizzy of symptoms after I did a session. Eventually though, it did begin become more flexible and I began to get benefit out of the sessions. Third, although I highly doubt this was the case, the practitioner may not have had enough experience or training to be able to accurately train someone with a head injury. I've said all along that neurofeedback is a powerful tool to use in rehabilitating head injuries, however, it is only as powerful as the practitioner using it. That is why it is important to have someone with experience with head injuries treat you.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote