View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How normal is normal?

I can give you some encouraging advice. I had VP shunt surgery in 1998. I returned to work 17 weeks later, actually just one day before 17 weeks, so under federal law, my radio station manager couldn't fire me. But one day after the 17 weeks, he laid me off and left me with no money at Christmas time. But I didn't give up. I went to work as a newspaper reporter on a contract basis at another former employer. Then, I agreed to work as a replacement worker in a strike out of town, but after a night in a hotel room there, the strike was settled. My reward was a full-time position with benefits. That job lasted another six years, before the newspaper switched my position to a job I couldn't do. So I went to the doctor, got a form signed that I couldn't work and now I'm on long-term disability, which gives me 60 per cent of my wages, plus all my benefits. The moral of the story is don't give up on working until you have to. My neurosurgeons have all told me, the more I keep my brain active, the longer it will last. Hope this helps...Jeff
jeff179120 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote