Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart speech therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I left the session sad and mad.
after reading your post i can see why... i'm really sorry this isn't working out.

Quote:
1. The therapist gave me a worksheet to take home that covers the same ground as the therapists in the hospital did with me. I did that exercise perfectly two days after the stroke. They would know that if one of them gave me a diagnostic test like I had asked.
what bozos!

Quote:
2. The therapist told me to move my mouth more. [...] But we also need to factor in the braces. Hello! You can see them and you can see I have a hard time with them! And someone how her suggestion came out as criticism. We are not a good match for each other.
indeed she sounds rather abrasive.

Quote:
3. Then she said I was being too hard on myself.
Excuse me? Sounds like SHE's the one being too hard on YOU. i think more than anything you are frustrated, and i can totally understand that. if you are being hard on yourself it is because you have high standards... you may need to accept a slower pace, but i see nothing wrong with trying to get well. if you quit while you're behind, how could that ever help.
Quote:
She told me to compare myself to a certain person on the national news [...] who is horribly messed up and told me I should consider how other people are.
no shtt... i *** HATE *** that "others got it worse than you" dealy.

Quote:
I was leaving anyway, but I grabbed my purse and said, "That was not helpful." Then I started crying and made a big scene.
i'm glad you said that. i don't know how you feel now about the scene, but maybe it's good that you got it out... and let her know how you were affected by all this.

Quote:
So I will either drop out or start back again with the internist to find a new place.
Please, don't give up. You want to get better. I want you to get better. Time is of the essence too, as hated as that is. Get with the internist to find a new place. I am wondering if you can also go through other professionals - your tdoc, pdoc... word of mouth. You need someone who knows how to be GENTLE.

Quote:
'Messed up my day. I should stay in bed except for when I need to be at work.
I'm really sorry. I wish you could. i hope you can find something soothing to do now. if not, maybe just rest. put on something cozy and soft, and climb into bed for a while and just rest, even if you do not sleep.

~ waves ~ sending you soothing, healing vibes
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (11-19-2009), Mari (11-19-2009)