View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Poetic license, I am sure the stents would have to be made from Titanium, so that MRI's can be taken during and after the surgery and when needed for MS MRI's.

Stainless steel sometimes has a nickel coating on them, like with injectable needles (syringes), it makes them smooth on the surface so they enter the skin easier. Nickel is in so many things. I am allergic to that too.
One of the people who had the surgery said that the types of stents she got were:
Cordis Acculink Nitinol
Cordis SMART Control biliary

both are titanium nickel.... and both, incidentally, were billed to insurance at 10,000 a pop!

I really worry about the nickel, because I so badly want to be treated for this--even if there are no guarantees that it will help the MS at least I know that there is something that's tangibly "broken" that could be fixed, instead of these random drugs that they don't really know how they work, and just barely work at that.

There's a study coming out the 24th that will detail the 18 month or so follow up from the 100 patients who had the "liberation procedure", and explain how it affected their relapse rate, MRIs, etc. Can't wait to see the results.
poetic license is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Riverwild (11-20-2009)