View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Peg, you've been paying attention!

I think you are exactly right. And long ago we all were talking about if we remembered constipation as an issue as children and roughly half of us did. One would think that figure rather high in a bunch of physically active kids. So we grow up stewing in our own juices. Our gut is, literally, a big sewer in that it is loaded with all those toxins that get blamed for PD. The bacterial endotoxins that I keep on about are plentiful in our food and air. The pesticides on that apple are there. Herbicides, too. The chemicals in our drnking water. Etc.

Our inflammatory state and BBB fluctuate hand-in-hand and anything that increases the former affects the latter as well. Stress, for example. Or the flu. Or h. pylori. All these familiar names.

As if the assault upon the BBB wasn't enough, there is a backdoor that bypasses it entirely which Braak described and a team from St. Judes recently observed an influenza strain actually using - the vagal nerves that connect the GI tract to the brain. The failure of the gut barrier would increase the odds of toxins and pathogens accessing this route. And they can even catch a ride on what is known as "ultrafine particulates" - soot. Diesel exhaust. Coal smoke. Like in London in 1817.

It is all coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
You guys are smart! But I have a very dumb question. When everett mentioned the "gut" it reminded me of an age-old qestion I have had - constipation. After PD and all the meds I take, it has of course been worse.

My question is if your colon was holding toxins from food, environment, or meds due to constipation; would that have a toxic effect on the brain (especially one with a BBB defect)?

Peg
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote