View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Absolutely on the priorities - - margaritas then pool then more ritas!! (no pool after second round...lolol)

Re: rain
Have been in Houston area (half way between Houston and Galveston) five summers now. All but his past one have been monsoon -like as Florida is. Great for water bill!! Every afternoon a pop up shower making for happy gardens.

This past summer, however, was drought like (we were down like 17"). I had to water a lot - and really hope this was the odd-ball summer!! Too hot and dry for humans or plants.

The first two winters, I had to cover tender plants maybe four or five nights because temps hit low 30's (for maybe 2 hours, but the tropicals hate that and the begonias go to mush. However the ground never freezes and a lot of plants will resprout.)

The last two winters, I don't think we ever got below 45...so plants were only endangered by bumper crops of hungry bugs.

I highly recommend visiting your county Ag extension office. They were super helpful - had lawn and garden fertilizer and pest protection products and schedules (they had one for organic gardeners and one for chemical) free for the taking. They also were terrific on tips for pruning, etc. Heck they just like to talk to folks and share their knowledge.

Can't wait to hear your progress! It really is a fun adventure.

Oh yeah - one last critical thing. Get yourself a large spray bottle and a big jug of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Use a ration of 1:10 (Dawn to water). Everytime you see a brown spot on a leaf or a bite out of a leaf - - SPRAY. I even have one of those attachments for the hose that I fill up with Dawn and spray everything about once a month. Dawn is biodegradable (they use it to get oil-slicked birds clean), the phosperous in it is like a food for plants, and the bugs and fungus don't like it!! Best yet - super to protect herbs and vege plants. (This tip straight from county AG!!)

Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (11-21-2009), mrsD (11-20-2009)