View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 01:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

hi kiwee,

Myself I have sciatica and back pain disorders for three years already. From my information what I have collected from internet, doctors, books etc. I recommend you start intensive treatment as soon as possible. The spinal disk degenerates over the time. You may feel better after some time, but the sciatica episodes will repeat and repeat again. Until now there is no effective treatment of sciatica which helps alone. Usually only the complex therapy gives beneficial results. Based on my studies (degree in biology) and own experience mostly are used: exercises, physiotherapy (electrotherapy, magnetotherapy etc.), manual therapy, massage, spinal (lumbar) traction. The herniated disc should be treated by conservative methods as long as possible. The surgery should be used as a last resort only. For, example, immediate operation is necessary only if severe pain prolongs for more than one month and respond only to morphine. In most cases there is no need to hurry with it. Often the surgery is not effective as disk protrusion/herniation forms again. The surgery do not eliminate the main reason for the herniation. During it, a part of disc pressing on the nerve is eliminated and thus the remaining part of the disc becomes weakened.

There is no one effective method of treatment for each person. The treatment should be very individual. Perhaps, the most important - are exercises. I understand from your situation that you are engaged in sport activities, so your abdominal and dorsal muscles are strong enough. Your exercises should be oriented to muscles stretching mostly. You do not need to strengthen muscles if they are strong enough. I thing that you should stop swimming as it may traumatize your disks more gives no benefit. This is not helpful in sciatica treatment. The walking is good and is preferred against sitting position. I do not know what medications are prescribed to you, so I will leave this part for later discussion. I will only mention that high doses of vitamins B (like B1, B6) is used for treatment of neuralgia and neuritis, like sciatica.

If there is any rehabilitation clinic or spinal treatment centre, they should have all necessary equipment for treatment. It should be oriented on reducing muscle spasms followed by spinal decompression (lumbar traction with computer based table). In any case the treatment will take a long time (months or even years) and could be costly. As a cheaper solution you could try purchasing a more simple lumbar traction unit intended for home use (few hundred dollars). If I can help you further you can send me an email at: **

Regards,

Adomas
adomas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote