View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Welcome to NT!

I’m so sorry about your injury. However, I applaud you for being proactive about considering your treatment options.

Firstly, I must tell you that your “clean” MRI means nothing. Standard CTs and MRIs are not sensitive enough to see the torn and damaged axons. Often people with obvious cognitive deficits have absolutely pristine scans.

What you should consider getting at your first opportunity is a neuro-psychological exam. It’s a series of tests (oral, visual, motor skills, written, etc…) designed to see how your brain is actually functioning. The testing is considered extremely accurate and is the best way to access damage. It is also the first step in customizing any future treatment and/or cognitive therapy.

The Brain Injury Association of America www.biausa.org is an excellent resource for patients and family members trying to understand and treat this sometimes life-altering injury. Another site to check out is www.tbiguide.com The link to the TBI forum here at NT is http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum92.html

I know how hard and frightening this all is. A lot of us here are brain injury survivors. We all understand the physical and psychological challenges of battling a concussion. A few of our members are extremely knowledgeable and I’m sure they’ll weigh in with advice about diet, supplements, bio-feedback, etc…

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
blackcompe (11-23-2009)