Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart ((( Steve )))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenfriend View Post
It's hard to tell. I've been through things like that,and sometimes it's impossible to time,or know what to do.
Yah. even with all the calculations... there are too many variables like external stressors and even psychological dependence... how can i measure that! lol

Quote:
I decided to slowly withdraw from Xanax years ago,and I did it very,very slowly over a long period of time,in which I felt comfortable to do it. After about four months I was down to a tiny piece.
wow. Xanax is really hard to taper directly because even halving or quartering a 0.25 might not be a small enough amount to cut by, especially towards the end of the taper... depends some on your original dose. But also it wears off fast, which is another problem altogether. Getting as far as you did was quite an accomplishment!

Quote:
My anxiety kicked back in slowly,and then hit me real hard. I was out of town,and when I got home,I felt like I was having a heart attack. My friends drove me to my parents house. My parents called my Pdoc,and he put me on a strong dose of Xanax,and the pain went away,and I felt better. Unfortunately I had panic attacks for several months. My parents let me stay there for six months. It was a awful experience. Everyone around me didn't know what to do,or say.

I had obsessions also that where increasing.
wow. i'm so sorry you went through this. it sounds like you had a real bad backlash... terrible.

I met a guy who was being detoxed from Xanax when i was in the clinic and he too was in pretty bad shape.

Quote:
I made a mistake in trying to get off of my medication. I was filled with emotion about it.
Do you know that Xanax is considered - both physically and psychologically - the most addictive benzo, par excellence? If for any reason you should need or desire to come off it, please ask your prescribing physician to work with you, and gradually switch you to Valium first. After you are stable on the Valium for a while, that can be tapered. It is easier to come off and it can be done more gradually.

Luckily what i am on is not quite as difficult as Xanax... even though it is pretty potent, it is also very very long acting (Xanax is very very short acting). Also, its availability in drops makes it so you can cut back by a tiny proportion at a time.

Quote:
Please be careful. I don't want you to go through what I went through. BF
Thank you, Steve. That is very sweet of you. I do take your warning to heart even with this med. I promise to be careful!

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (11-22-2009), Brokenfriend (11-22-2009), Dmom3005 (11-22-2009), Mari (11-22-2009)