View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 05:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Vanessa,
The RSD support group letter that had the link to this group also had a link to a great article:
Applied Neurology magazine October 2006 issue
Understanding and Treating Complex Regional Pain Syndrome by Devon Schulyer
http://appneurology.com/showArticle....leId=196513289
The Prognosis at the end was the best part:

PROGNOSIS
Most experts agree that with treatment, most patients can expect their CRPS to improve. "There's a misconception that personal injury lawyers would like to promulgate, which is that CRPS is lifelong and completely disabling," said Harden. With proper treatment, patients could get on with their lives, he said. Because patients go into remission as opposed to being cured, patients need to stay active, engage in physical and occupational therapy, and possibly take medication and continue with other treatments that have helped, he added.
Cruciani estimated that with treatment, about 20% of patients go into remission. "Then you have about 40% to 50% of patients who are stabilized. Although they continue to have pain and are uncomfortable, they can function to a certain degree. Then you have 30% for whom it doesn't matter what you do; they're miserable."
Oaklander pointed out that she never sees geriatric patients with CRPS; the average age of most patients is about 40, and the prevalence decreases as patients age. "These kind of epidemiologic data are consistent with a disease that does not last forever," she said. "It's one of the things that keeps me optimistic."

Check out the article if you haven't already seen it. It closely aligns with my life too, as it does for many and Lisa, GOOD FOR YOU, enjoy!!! ;-> -Sharon

Last edited by saburkhart; 01-14-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: I wish I could see Dr. Robert Schwartzman but his waiting list is yrs long. He did have a link for finding a doctor close.
saburkhart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burnbabyburn (07-08-2014)