View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default gene therapy etc

Paula,
I will be happy when they start really thinking out ways to deliver gene therapy by humane means - then there will not be any need for sham surgery. It makes me mad every time I see a headline about gene therapy, promising hope for one group of suffering people, or another. There has got to be better thinking on this type of surgical procedure, and I agree that the ethics should not be decided by the people who have vested interest or their lobbyists. There is no such thing as 'pure' science. They will find an answer and perhaps a cure by looking at people better. They should be looking at the epidemiology.....

I went looking for statistics on PD world wide, and was shocked to find that there are almost none, statistics deteriorate into generalizations - no-one seems to be looking at some of the most important questions, they are too busy doing other things that have very little to do with us..... and making huge amounts out of not finding solutions to the things that affect ordinary people.

There are an 'estimated' 4 million people world wide with PD. If this figure is anywhere near accurate the majority will never have access to treatment, never be seen by a neuro, let alone get help with living with it. So where does that leave the relationship between surgery and a 'cure'............ or do the many simply not figure anywhere in the ethics at all.......

At both ends of these statistics there seems to be flawed thinking, and a very narrow focus of vision........

Sham surgery is shameful and lacking in compassion, even when participants are willing.
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote