View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 08:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatgen27 View Post
I hope you dont mind me asking, but what are lidocaine fusions? I currently looking for a new treatment option and I want it to be non-invasive. I have tried the lidocaine patches and I had some success with that but then my body got used to them and they stopped working. Just hoping you could give me some information on the process and background on your opinon in relation to the treatment.
Dear Swatgen,

Lidocaine is a sodium channel blocker (Mexiletine is the oral version of lidocaine). Many RSD patients seem to do very well with sodium channel blockers. Ketamine is also a sodium channel blocker.

There are 2 types of lidocaine infusions that I'm aware of.

My preference is for the straight goods. It consists of is 800 mg of lidocaine delivered intravenously using a pump over 2 hours. I get 100 mg as a bolus over 5 minutes and the rest, 700mg is given in a the bag. The protocols require that the patient is monitored with a heart monitor for the whole infusion, therefore it is a more expensive treatment. I just seem to have better results with this method.

The alternative is to have the same amount of lidocaine delivered subcutaneously using a small disposable pump. It looks much like a baby bottle, made by Baxter. Typically they would insert the needle under your skin in your abdomen area instead of directly into the vein. They can do this for patients on an outpatient basis. They send you home with the pump and after a few hours when the pump is empty you remove the needle yourself. It is my understanding that most patients here are now getting this type of infusion.

Aside form being sleppy during the infusion I have few side effects from it. A bit of gas and sometimes my blood preasure is raised during the infusion but that returns to normal when the infusion is stopped. I've had good results from this, getting them on avarage every 3 weeks for the past few years. It seems to keep most of the RSD patients that I know stable.

I hope that answers your questions.

Good luck.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Swatgen27 (11-25-2009)