View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Don't throw out the baby with the bath water

Paula and Linda,

Genetic research is true science. The problem is, rather than going the long route to unravel the yarn that leads to the cure, the researchers hear of one true genetic discovery and jump the gun to proove thereoms at the expence of the patient instead of follwing the lead all the way to the end so as not to miss any other information that may prove their thereoms wrong.

Genetic research is in its infancy. Many researches are trying to sort out how the millions of deletions, additions, or other mutations effect the chemistry of the body. For example, did you know that deletion of exon 3 from the Parkin gene leads to a stronger possibility of breast, ovarion or liver cancer? The Parkin gene effectively slows the growth of tumors and dopamine is used in chemotherapy for those with malignant tumor growth. Both liver and ovarion cancer are very difficult to catch with the current screenings, and both are incurable in the late stages. Try searching for Parkin gene and ovarian Breast Cancer. See how many hits you get.

Science only gets swept away when patients keep screaming for cures, and the Pharmaceutical Companies try to be the first to come up with a potential cure based on long shot thereoms. Money is wasted, patients get hurt, and the pharmaceutical industry does not change its research methods it increase the success rate by practicing true science, following the chains to the last link. Need I mention sharing research is not practised?

If genetic research would be assigned out in a methodical way so every research venue would get a piece of the genome pie, and worked only on that, then shared the information wilh the whole industry, think of what could be accomplished with minimum expenditure.

I am involved in such a small piece of research. The purpose of the study is to, "Make induced pluripotent stem (iPS)cells from Parkinson's Disease Patients" with proven genetic mutations, then introduce different environmental factors to discover which will create Parkinsonian symptoms. I have already given my skin sample, the doctor who took the skin sample did it for free and took care of sending it to the researcher involved. I expect nothing in return, in fact saved the reseacher money by having my personal dermatologist do the work here in Minnesota (he was offered pay but did it for free) rather than get a free trip to Buffalo, New York with motel, all expences paid.

I received a hand written note from the doctor teling me the sample arrived fine and in a few months they should have the pluripotent stem cells to work with. He promised to keep me updated on the results of the research and signed the note with his first name only.

There is legitamite research out there for genetic research.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (11-23-2009)