View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Coping with loss and grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykilgore View Post
I am in newly involved with a man that lost his mother in July. They were very close. He has pretty much avoided feeling any grief until recently. I want to help but really I don't know how.

I could use some sound advice. I can't imagine what he is going through. First because I have never had that sort of closeness with anyone and second I just can't imagine.

I would like to be able to kiss his wound and make it better, that is the mom in me, but I know I can't. So what can I do?
Hi K, there might be a support group in your area affiliated with Hospice on grief and loss. Reading Stephen Levin-"Who Dies" is supportive, or Rachel Naomi Remen's-" My Grandfather's Blessing" I found these particularly heart-filled and supportive of the process of loss, in ones own life and for the friend involved. Many other books availbe in the library are informative and able to bring more depth of understanding with great examples of compassion and acceptance of the cycles of life and loss with what grief might look like..

We barely know how to tolerate loss in this culture or grieve openly. Bless your own heart for wishing to support your friend. We all need someone to witness our process with compassion, even if there is not complete understanding, it is the acceptance of the process which counts.

Blessings to both of you, TT
tinglytoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kathykilgore (12-04-2009)