View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My PN symptoms were masked or predated by plantar fasciitis also. The numbness in my toes was linked to a Morton's neuroma and it made sense at the time. I am a hockey referee and often skate for 2-5 hours at a time on a weekend day and it can be very taxing on the feet.

The Morton's neuroma went away, it took six months and the plantar fasciitis went away too. But it reappeared within a month (I blame going barefoot on the tile floor for this) and then it was back to hockey season. The numbness in the left pinky toe became more prevalent with all the pains and tingling. When it spread I went back to the podiatrist and he gave me more of the same but suggested the electro shock tests.

By that time it was in both feet and they were numb top and bottom past the ball of the foot. The glucose tests were normal so it was diagnosed as PN with no known cause, how far it will go or where it will stop (my left pinky finger is now getting it and spreading to the ring finger).

I have a pretty high threshold for pain so I don't take anything unless it's really bad in my feet - a lot of cramping and the burning/stabbing pains. Then I take ibuprofin and/or hydrocodone (although I don't like the opiates).

I still ice my feet at night and this provides significant relief. I do take 1 aspirin each morning but little else. I am back to skating but on significantly reduced schedule, 1or 2 games per day. I use simple German orthotics that I buy on-line or in stores that are inexpensive yet provide good arch support and support the ball of my foot.

My biggest problem is fear of where this is all going and how debilitated I am going to be. I am (was) a pretty active person (water skiing, tennis, hiking, golf) and this has slowed me way down. Until I found this forum (yesterday!) I couldn't find anyone who even knew what I was talking about. I am reading the posts here and learning lots but I am open to all suggestions.

FXdistilled is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote