View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 10:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Slightly off-topic: Intermittent Fasting

I've been hearing a lot about Calorie restriction to extend life and help with various diseases, especially autoimmune disease as I'm battling one myself. But I didn't think I could do it. Just don't have that sort of willpower. But I might be able to do Intermittent Fasting (IF) and I keep reading more and more about it.

Here's an interesting article from Dr. Eades blog.

Quote:
Like caloric restriction, intermittent fasting reduces oxidative stress, makes the animals more resistant to acute stress in general, reduces blood pressure, reduces blood sugar, improves insulin sensitivity, reduces the incidence of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease, and improves cognitive ability. But IF does even more. Animals that are intermittently fasted greatly increase the amount of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) relative to CR animals. CR animals don't produce much more BDNF than do ad libitum fed animals...

...In this study, published in the journal Medical Hypothesis in March of this year, Dr. Laub along with two other physicians (neither of whom I know) underwent their version of and intermittent fast. The three of them have since May 2003 been on a version of the IF in which they consume about 20-50 percent of their estimated daily energy requirements on the fast day and eat whatever they want on the non-fast days.

Since starting their regimen they have

"observed health benefits starting in as little as two weeks, in insulin resistance, asthma, seasonal allergies, infectious diseases of viral, bacterial and fungal origin (viral URI, recurrent bacterial tonsillitis, chronic sinusitis, periodontal disease), autoimmune disorder (rheumatoid arthritis), osteoarthritis, symptoms due to CNS inflammatory lesions (Tourette's, Meniere's) cardiac arrhythmias (PVCs, atrial fibrillation), menopause related hot flashes."
I think I'm going to try this, see if it helps with my AS.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote