Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Unhappy ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizi View Post
I am still stunned that you can't get sour cream there. the butter milk seems like a good substitute.
((((HUGS))))
keep being stunned...

...can't get buttermilk either!!!

heheh. some things you just take for granted... until you walk into a store and realize, you don't know the foreign word for what you want, you try to describe it to them, they finally get it and say "oooh, that stuff 'foreigners' use [tell you the word] ... sorry we don't keep that, there is no demand for it."

(hello, i am standing in front of your face, "demanding?")

btw, my mom just said she has seen sour cream somewhere, but when i searched for it i could not find it. i remember having at IKEA, on their lunch plates, so perhaps they sell containers of it too, but that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the way for me. there may be other places that sell either one... but the fact is... these are just not common grocery items.

in any case, there is the human factors issue too:

while i love sour cream with potatoes, i think dad would be better off if we avoided anything sour... so the substitution issue becomes somewhat moot. both parents will have issues with the skins i'm afraid even on new potatoes...

... the sad bottom line is, while i might be able to swing a modified recipe and they might even like it, i won't be able to really try Bizi's Spinach Mashed Potatoes until i am... in a different living situation.

i will keep your recipe.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (11-25-2009), Dmom3005 (11-25-2009), Mari (11-25-2009)